Sunday 5 March 2017

HOW I COPE WITH MY ANXIETY



I was going to name this post "How To Cope with Your Anxiety" but if we're going to be real, we have to understand that each mental and physical illness is unique to each person. Not every tip or trick is guaranteed to help everyone, nor are everyones circumstances the same. But saying that, I think it's worth sharing tips and tricks regardless because you never know who they could help!

1. Having my own space. My anxiety affects me in a way which means I sometimes struggle being in an environment where there's a lot of people around me. Having my own space is important for me to be able to 'function', which is how I like to describe it because I know I feel perfectly comfortable in my own company and it's my perfect escape when I feel overwhelmed. Find your perfect escape and use it to your advantage.

2. Training my brain. I have a funny little technique where I literally tell myself over and over again that I'm so excited about something even when I'm really not. I think if I tell myself I'm looking forward to something then I naturally start to think about the positives in that situation instead of immediately thinking of the negatives. Sometimes it is a full day job but it has worked to my advantage so far.

3. Doing more of what scares me. One thing I absolutely hate is talking on the phone, especially if it's an impromptu phone call where I don't have time to plan what I'm going to say. I work in an office where I do need to answer the phone and I never thought I'd say this and I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I'm actually getting used to it now. I even offered to call somewhere for someone recently which is normally a massive no-no for me. Yay yay yay

4. Seeking outside help. Don't be afraid to seek out help from someone, i.e a counsellor or cognitive behavioural therapist. Find what works for you and I promise, you will not regret it.

5. Talking to others. The most important of all - talking is the biggest source of relief in my opinion. It unclogs your head whilst also educating those around you which hand in hand creates a much better environment to live in if you suffer with a mental illness. Make that first step now, it could be life-changing.

What are your tips for coping with anxiety/mental illness?

Georgie


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Feel like I'm spamming your blog because I've legit just posted a comment on your last post hahaa.. But this post is honestly so relatable. Continue what your doing with posts like this. I honestly didn't think anxiety was such a mediator in my life but as I grow, things like the above keep cropping up and this definitely put me at ease to know I'm not the only one. Such a comforting and heart-felt post.
    - Lau xx
    Life Of Lau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely, lovely comment, and spamming is welcomed with open arms! I felt the same, in that I didn't realise how much anxiety affected the small daily things but the more I've learnt about it, the more I can see these little triggers. I'm so glad you felt it was relatable and comforting, thank you so much again :D XX

      Delete

© Georgie Denby | Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.